Technical Project Manager- IT Local Authority
Previous Local Authority experience is essential
To provide project management and consultancy for a variety of IT projects within a Programme Management environment. Ideally with experience of MS Dynamics.
To support this large programme of work we require a Project Manager who has a solid technical knowledge experience of delivering wide-ranging IT projects predominantly in Waterfall methodology.
- Start up, run and see to completion assigned projects following the Council’s adopted methodology, PRINCE2.
- Work with the project sponsor, project board, Programme Manager and IT Managers to confirm the definition of the project, assisting them where necessary, to produce an agreed Business Case and Project Initiation Document.
- Draw up detailed plans for IT projects and agree the resourcing of those plans with the Project Board and with senior management.
- Formulate and lead a project team to carry out the tasks and deliver the products defined in the plan.
- Manage the tasks of the project team, suppliers, and Council staff outside the project team, reporting progress, risks, issues and exceptions regularly to the programme manager, project sponsor and project board.
- Work with members of the project team to analyse and redesign IT related business processes, taking a lead role as required
- Ensure that appropriate quality checks are designed and carried out for each of the deliverables of the project.
- Work with the Programme Manager to ensure the activities in the project are co-ordinated with the other projects in the programme.
- Review the outcomes of projects and make recommendations for the next steps.
- Take a part in other projects, programmes and other work of the IT Services and Governance, Skills & Strategy teams as and when required.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- PMP or Prince2 certification.
- Proof of applying project management methodologies and tools across different projects and programmes.
- Project management qualification (preferably PRINCE2 Practitioner)
- Management/leadership qualification
- Attendance at recognised technical training courses eg. Microsoft Networking Windows
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of delivering IT Infrastructure and Application projects of varying size and complexity
- Experience of network design / transformation / troubleshooting and a good industry understanding
- Demonstrable experience of Risk Management
- Knowledge of managing projects and resources to tight deadlines, with efficiency and accuracy
- Extensive high-level all round knowledge and experience of ICT issues and technologies technical credibility with high caliber suppliers and consultants and professional credibility with colleagues.
- Knowledge of programme/project management methodologies with in-depth knowledge of at least one methodology.
- Significant experience of delivering projects which have delivered to cost, quality and timescale.
- A significant understanding of the workings of large complex organisations and the challenges set in respect of the financial, legal and political arenas in which a large organisation operates.
- Experience of working with suppliers and other partners outside the organisation
- Experience of co-ordinating the activities of staff
- Experience of working with Senior Managers
- Experience of a delivering projects in a variety of environments and for a variety of business purposes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Project
- Experience of delivering a variety of IT projects eg. Design & rollout
- Deep practical and theoretical experience of web and infrastructure technologies, CCC universal systems and CCC business applications, e.g. Windows desktop, Exchange, Windows server
- Experience of working on more than one project or work package at one time
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to lead others when there is no direct line of command
- Highly flexible in style able to provide strong leadership and direction including delegating, motivating and developing members of the project team. Substantial proven leadership and a record of successful management.
- Excellent project management skills including project management tools and techniques.
- Adopts a holistic approach to planning encompassing cost, scope and benefits in the light of resource, constraints and risk.
- Familiar with risk management techniques including formal reviews where risk is put in the context of business benefits and cost of delivery.
- Well developed communication skills including extensive report writing skills and face to face interaction in both small and large groups.
- Strong presentation skills
- Focussed on getting results within challenging timescales
- Ability to encourage and engender collaborative working with suppliers and other external partners to achieve shared objectives.
- Ability to analyse problems and produce a range of options, culminating in a preferred solution.
- Ability to make rational, realistic and sound decisions based on consideration of all the facts and alternatives available.
- Ability to develop, lead and implement projects which cross service and professional boundaries.
- Ability to understand the ‘bigger picture’, through thinking innovatively and conceptually. Being outward looking whilst being able to translate the main business drivers of the Council into deliverables, plans and specific outcomes.
- Understands customer’s needs and takes appropriate action to meet their requirements.
- Manages levels of stress in an appropriate manner, which ensures that standards of work are maintained and deadlines met.